Friday, February 1, 2013

The WikiSeat Project: Our Students Have Problems!




Our students received their Catalysts yesterday, and The WikiSeat Project 2013 is off and running.  Students were asked to identify a problem that they wanted to solve by designing and building a WikiSeat, and post it to a Moodle forum.  The responses, most of them listed below, range from the practical concerns of daily life all the way up to the spiritually uplifting and deeply empathetic.  When our students learn because they have real problems that they want to solve they approach the whole process with something real at stake and with a determination otherwise not associated with what we usually do in school.  We invite you to take some time looking at the problems our students hope to solve through our work on the project, and to read more about our approach to identifying problems.  - Sean Wheeler
  • The chair I use now is getting old, and I play Minecraft with my brother, and he usually sits on the ground.
  • Every time I go to my friend’s house I have to sit on her bed and it sucks because she is a bed hog. 
  • I don't have anywhere to hangout alone.
  • My sister broke my vanity chair so now I have nowhere to sit down and do my hair or my makeup.
  • When I straighten or curl my hair, I have to be in front of my mirror, and I get tired of standing.
  • When I moved out of my old house all of the dinning room chairs broke due to how old they were, so my mother took all the spare chairs from the house and used them for the table. This included my creative chair.
  • I'm scared of the dark.
  • My problem is when it comes time to get a haircut I have nowhere to sit, and I don’t want too use my dining room chairs.


  • My brother and I share a room and our beds take up most of the room. When I have friends sleep over they have nowhere to sit. 
  • The WikiSeat solves the problem of not having enough seats at the dinner table.  Someone either has to sit in the living room or on the floor. 
  • I don’t have enough places for people to sit and I’m having a birthday party real soon.
  • I noticed that whenever I'm at my friend’s house, and she's getting ready or something, she doesn't get to sit in front of her mirror to straighten her hair or do her make up. When she sits there, the mirror is too high up for her to see herself in the mirror so she has to do her hair and makeup without looking in the mirror.
  • My dog is always jumping up on these nice chairs in our house and my mom gets upset because her paws scratch the leather.
  • My problem is that my mom and I have nowhere to sit in our yard without getting dirty or wet.
  • When we have guests over, and they take all the chairs, I have no place to sit.
  • My grandma just recently had knee surgery so she needs a chair to sit on when she prays.
  • I need a seat for my little cousin. While we are having dinner she never wants to stay in her seat.


  • The problem is whenever my friends are over I never have any comfortable or reasonably tall chairs for playing video games in my living room or my room.
  • The chair for the desk in my room broke, so I need a chair for my desk to do my homework on.
  • When my mom comes home she talks about how her back hurts and I feel bad because the chairs and couches we have are comfortable, but they don’t help my mom and support her back the way they need to.
  • I'm always craving food and I really need a comfortable place to eat because I have to eat on my bed and it gets aggravating holding my plate, and I'm always tired for some reason so this would give me another place to sleep when I don't feel like moving to my bed.
  • I’ve helped my dad on his projects and I’ve seen how the chair that he sits in effects his back. He always complains about his back pain.
  • My chair isn't comfortable.  Every time I try to sit and play video games I get uncomfortable and I can't focus.  I need to make a more comfortable chair.
  • I miss my sister.
  • I never have a place to sit when I do my make up. I always have to stand.  I don't like it because it takes a while to do my make up.
  • The problem I have is that I don't have a comfortable place to sit in my house.


  • My mom has always been really stressed out and her confidence has been really low.
  • When people make YouTube videos, they can’t decide whether to sit or stand. I feel like sitting would be much more comfortable. My brother is on YouTube and makes plenty of videos. How sweet would it be for him to sit in a chair made specifically for him?  One that's comfy and reminds him of his little sister that is miles away.
  • My mom can't sit anywhere comfortably because of a hip replacement.
  • My Wiki seat will solve the problem for the guests that comes over to my house because my mom doesn't want people sitting in two specific chairs in our living room so they're forced to sit in the kitchen.
  • The problem my WikiSeat will solve is being cold at my brother's soccer games in the fall. I never bring a blanket for when I’m sitting on the chair watching the game because I always forget it.
  • I am going to make a WikiSeat chair for my nephew because he doesn't have a chair and he can't sit on the couch because he is too little to be that high off the ground.
  • There is only one chair at my desk and when me and my friends are working, we usually have to try and share one chair. There is a stool, but it really isn't good in terms of height, fit, and comfort.
  • My friends don’t like to sit next to my family for what ever reasons so therefore the WikiSeat will solve the problem of my friends having to stand when they are over my house.
  • My problem is that when I want to read my book I don't have a chair to sit in.


  • My WikiSeat will solve the problem of me needing more room to store things or just a place for me to sit when I write or read. I realized this was a problem a few months ago when I had no more room to put my journals and also not many clear places for me to sit when I need a quiet place to work.
  • My problem is my little sister just turned one and she hates being in her high chair and she’s too small to be on the chairs and couches because they’re too high and my mom is scared she will fall.
  • My dad needs furniture to represent his style. 
  • My niece has brothers who always take up the couch, leaving her complaining because she has no place to sit.
  • My bed is about 4 feet off the ground and its annoying to jump up there all the time.
  • At my house we don't have a dinning room table so I use a chair to eat my meals, but my mom hates when I do this.
  • I like to read at night and my mom doesn't like it when I turn on the light so I usually go to another room but I have to sit on the floor, because there's no where to sit.
  • I would like to not have to get up while watching the game.
  • The chair my mother sits in at the dinning room table broke.
  • My problem is that my dinning room table has a chair broken and only three people can sit at the table. My dad always sits in the living room and eats.


  • My little sister always tries to sit with me, but the chairs are too big for her.
  • The problem is when I go to watch trains, I usually have to sit on the ground if there are no chairs, and if I bring a chair, my tripod with my camera is out of reach.
  • When I sit at my dining room table I notice that all of my chairs are boring and not interesting looking at all.
  • I sit on the floor in the living room for dinner, and when I get home from rugby practice late in the evening at 8 pm or 9 pm, I’m too sore to the point where sitting on the floor is a real pain.
  • The problem is I have bad vision and I can't see the TV clearly.
  • The desk chair in my brother's room broke so he has to sit on the floor to play his video games.
  • My brother is getting knee surgery and he will need a chair to keep his leg level.
  • My problem is that I like to draw but I need a hard surface to draw on and I like to draw in my room but I only have a couch and a bed so alway have to grab a book to draw on.
  • The problem my WikiSeat will solve is that there’s more people in my house than there are chairs in my house.

8 comments:

  1. There were some establishments with great history and traditions which are followed from year to year, from generation to generation. But there are still some educational establishments where gender segregation is accepted. Generally we like this overview. It was helpful and we can even bookmark it as an example of how to write essay on emotions of infants.

    ReplyDelete